We are helping people with disabilities have more meaningful lives. Check out our GoFundMe campaign at https://www.gofundme.com/newavenuecafe
We are an organization founded by Fathers who are taking active roles in our childs’ lives. Join us!
We have started a new venture to give back to the music community who has supported Our Community Cup Coffeehouse this past year. Our new open mic is called TLC Open Mic. We have partnered with Temple Lutheran Church in Havertown to hold this every Monday night. It is located at the 501 Brookline Blvd, Havertown, PA and is open from 7:30 to 9:30 pm. Check out our Facebook page for more information.
Our project Our Community Cup Coffeehouse received a grant last year from The Presbytery of Philadelphia. They made a video of their grantees. We got top billing.
Our Share the Love Fest was a huge success. We had over 100 people attend and raised about $1,000. We have some great sponsors (The Rotary Club of Central Delaware County and California Pizza Kitchen).
- We are in our 5th year at the Media Farmer’s Market. The market will start on May 12th and will end on November 17th. We provide opportunities for young and old adults with disabilities to showcase and sell their crafts. Ellie is with us again to sell her jewelry. Margot is with us from Busy Hands. Gloria may be with us from Peaceful Path. We are looking for others who would like to sell their crafts with us. This helps us develop important ties to community residents and civic leaders. Please contact us if you are interested. The people who will be with us this year include:
- This year we will also have a bakery booth called Our Bakers at the Media Farmer’s Market. Our friend and partner, Jerry Sheehan, in our bakery project will be baking his delicious baked goods as he did 2 years ago at the market.
- And we will be at the Newtown Square Farmer’s Market. This will start on Wednesday May 25th and go to September 28th. We will have a bakery booth and a coffee booth. The hours are from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
- Our hiking program at Scott Arboretum has been going. It is called Wellness Walks. We have 2 more Sundays in May and June scheduled. So come on out. Click here for more information.
- To help raise funds for our bakery project, we are starting a Community Supported Bakery (CSB). It’s called Our Bakers. We have bread shares and pretzel shares. Each will run for 15 weeks. You have a choice of 6 different kinds of 1.5 lb loaves of crusty breads for $82.50 (which is $5.50 per loaf of bread). We are also selling Bavarian Pretzel shares just for sea salt at this time. The cost is also $82.50 for 15 weeks for 3 pretzels which is $2.00 per pretzel. Check out our website for more info and to sign up.
- Our Community Cup, a “pay what you can” coffeehouse, has been open now 1 year. We have been averaging 20-30 every Friday. We are very pleased and happy that we can provide something that you like. It has been a rewarding experience and we are learning a lot. It is located in Chambers Memorial Presbyterian Church basement, Rutledge PA, where everyone – families, young and old – especially those with disabilities, autism, Asperger’s, etc., can come to chill, socialize and participate in activities, eat and listen to live music. For more info please go to http://ourcommunitycup.com
- We hope to be starting a cafe/bakery business in Delaware County PA. We are negotiating on a place in Media-Springfield PA.
- We are working with other organizations concerning housing projects/ideas. A coalition will be set up to work on this.
- We are looking to start other projects that help the community like our successful Indiegogo campaign to make backpacks for the homeless in Chester PA. Please contact us with your project ideas.
The Office of Intellectual Disabilities in Delaware County has been working on additional trainings focused on the impact of Competitive Employment on benefits for people with disabilities. The next one will be in 2016.
The mission of New Avenue Foundation is to create meaningful lives for people with disabilities – all disabilities – through advocacy and innovative services.